Father’s Day activities tend to include fun things such as barbecues, cookouts, camping and fishing.. It’s also the time of year when dear ol’ Dad starts tackling his to-do list and kicks off projects around the home.
Perhaps it’s time to repaint the bathroom or replace carpet with hardwood floors or build a backyard deck. Maybe even plant a garden.
All of these activities have the likelihood of producing household hazardous waste, which if not disposed of properly can be harmful to human health, the environment and watersheds.
Here are several things everyone can do to help mitigate the effects of hazardous household waste while protecting the environment:
- Learn how and where to dispose of HHW properly in Riverside County by visiting https://www.rcwaste.org/hhw.
- Buy natural cleaning products that don’t contain dangerous chemicals.
- Make your own cleaning products from natural ingredients.
- Make sure any chemicals or poisonous materials are stored safely.
- Be sure to read product labels for disposal directions to reduce the risk of products exploding, igniting, leaking or mixing with other chemicals.