Join us in celebrating America Recycles Day on November 15. On this special day, we would like to help us encourage people to reduce littering in our communities. One way of participating is by always keeping in mind the 3 R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
By reducing the single-use products you buy, the less trash you create! Changing small habits, like bringing your own reusable cups to the coffee shop can go a long way. Some grocery stores and coffee shops offer incentives for customers to bring their own reusable bags and cups, there might be a store near you that participates. This way we can teach future generations an easy and convenient way to reduce waste and protect the environment.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the recycling rate has increased from less than 7 percent in 1960 to the current rate of 32 percent. A study conducted by the EPA found that recycling and reuse activities in the United States accounted for 681,000 jobs and $37.8 billion in wages.
Here are some benefits of recycling:
- Reduces the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
- Conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals
- Increases economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
- Prevents pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
- Saves energy
- Supports American manufacturing and conserves valuable resources
- Helps create new well-paying jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States.
There is always an opportunity to help us keep earth clean and healthy for generations to come. For more information, click here.